Call for Applications for Membership of ExoMars 2018 Landing Site Selection Working Group
1 November 2013The European Space Agency (ESA) and the Space Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IKI) [on behalf of the Russian Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos)] invite the scientific community to apply for membership in the ExoMars 2018 Landing Site Selection Working Group (LSSWG).
Tasks of the LSSWG
The LSSWG will have the following scientific tasks:
- Support ESA and Roscosmos to write the Call for landing site proposals, including the definition of the evaluation criteria.
- Assess the candidate landing site proposals received in response to the Call.
- Support ESA and Roscosmos in the organisation of open scientific workshops and in interactions with the interested scientific community.
- Produce a prioritised list of candidate landing sites compatible with the applicable science, engineering, and planetary protection requirements.
- Recommend the top four candidate landing sites for more detailed studies.
- Produce a final recommendation to ESA and Roscosmos for the ExoMars 2018 landing site(s).
The response to this Call will be in the form of a Letter of Application, not longer than ten pages (A4 format, 11-pt character size), which must include the following parts:
- Scientific background and expertise in areas highly relevant to the evaluation of the scientific suitability of Mars terrains for accomplishing the 2018 ExoMars mission’s scientific objectives (6 pages max).
- Curriculum Vitae, including contact information (3 pages max).
- A list of maximum ten selected papers in scientific peer-reviewed journals that the applicant has published on pertinent subjects (1 page max).
- Letter(s) of support, if applicable.
The Letters of Application, in pdf format, shall be submitted to the following e-mail address:
Complete details are available in the Call for Letters of Application for Membership in the ExoMars 2018 Landing Site Selection Working Group (LSSWG) document.
|1 November 2013||Call for Letters of Application for Membership in the 2018 Landing Site Selection Working Group (LSSWG).|
|25 November 2013||Letters of Application due (by 12:00 CET)|
|Early December 2013||Review of Letters of Application and appointment of LSSWG members|
Requests for further information and clarification should be addressed to exomars_landingrssd.esa.int